Monday, August 10, 2009

From North Carolina to California






Hello everyone! I am officially in Los Angeles, CA and have completed my first of work. My next blog will be about my first week but I'd like to use this entry to update you all on Doug and my cross country road/moving trip

Packing my life into the trunk of my car was pretty difficult but also very humbling and freeing. No furniture, just clothes adn pictures- two tens, two sleeping bags, a coupe bags of food...and off we went! Poor Doug had to handle me crying half of the first day because I was so sad to leave my family, but he handled it beautifully and gave me my space to heal :-) The first stop was Linville Caverns and Falls (see above pic) which was absolutely fascinating. Mineral deposit structures calcified in a centuries old cave...very cool! We camped the first night at Linville, had a very fun time learning hot and what to cook/ not cook over an open fire and were up early the next morning to drive through Tennessee and camp in Arkansas.

We arrived at Mt. Nebo in Arkansas pretty late but we set up our two tents like pros and mad a huge fire. The critters were definatly a foot but the camping savvy Doug always made sure we kept the food in the car so no danger came of our inhabiting their home. A word of warning to anyone wanting to camp in AK...the mosquitos bite like sharks...wear your bug repellant!

The next stop was New Mexico! This branch of the trip proved to be as enjoyable as it was beautiful as we ventured from mountainous terrain to the flat terrains of Oklahoma and Texas--hitting3 state signs in on day--score! NM was incredible :-) We arrived at Conchas Lake State Park as a desert storm was rolling in but we tried to high tail it and get dinner coocked before the clouds let loose on us. As we put the burgers on the grill the lightening was striking 360 degrees around us (still far enough away to feel safe outside) and the winds were slowly picking up. AS we were getting ready to pull the burgers off the grill, lightening struck a telephone pole nearby which slightly zapped Doug...and we sprinted to the car! We sat in the car watching the majesty of God unfold- the sky turning red then dark blue, the wind shaking the car, the rain falling so big that the drops rivaled baseballs and the lightening flashing across teh sky radiating the glory of the storm. AMAZING!

The next morning we took our time enjoying the lake and the beautiful post storm weather and then we hit the road for White Horse Lake National Park in Arizona. Driving through AZ was breathtaking, especially when we caught the sunset as we rolled down I-40 at the end of our drive. After pulling several "you hold the wheel so I can take a picture" moments, Doug captured several spectacular sunset pictures! (see above pic)WE arrived pretty late but we had some fun times with our very helpful neighbors and the "comfort houses"/ elegantly named bathrooms.

The next stop was the infamous GRAND CANYON (see 2 pictures above)! If you have not been...holy moly...talk about WOW GOD! We hiked down the main path then ventured off the marked route to hike a very cool side trail and get some much needed individual quite time with God. We also got to witness a father and son pair complete their hike to the bottom of the canyon and back up (3am-4pm). It was seriously one of the most heartwarming spectacles I have ever witnessed. They definatly didn't know Doug or myself but they high-fived us, told us all about their trek, and had us take a picture of them- beautiful!

That night we crossed into CA and camped at Joshua Tree (see 'floating rock' picture). This particular national park was very interesting because it was constructed to protect a 800,000 acre terrain inside which three of California's ecosystems are located. It is characterized by oddly shaped joshua trees, cholla cactus and the unique rock formations randomly dispersed throughout the park. Doug and I found a really cool campsite surrounded by boulders and battling bong drum players so the atmosphere, as well as the scenery, was extremely relaxing and FUN!

On August 2nd we packed up and headed north to Los Angeles to move me in and set me up to start this new page of my life! First week of work update is soon to come...I love it so far!!


God Bless you all and thank you for all you support!


2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i am so jealous...the pictures are amazing and i'm sure barely do the trip justice. i'll be keeping you in my prayers as you start to get settled in!! love ya lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update, dear friend! so glad to know you were safe crossing the nation. can't wait to hear more, and i'm praying for you, too! i love you SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete